Translate This Page
The DVC L 1 Course:
Students have to design a sustainable sleep-out from 3 x shipping containers. The size of a typical shipping container is: 12 (length) x 2.2 (width) x 3 m (height) . Students have to consider the following:
- Size of the shipping containers and the configuration
- Sustainability features and functions (solar panels [PV], water tanks, wind turbines, building materials, etc.)
- Design era (e.g. Modernism or Bauhaus). Visit this great website to explore design eras:http://architecture.about.com/cs/historicperiods/a/timeline.htm
- Influential designer (e.g. Phillip Johnson, Le Corbusier, Walter Gropius, etc.). Useful website:http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/Historic-Styles/Modernism.-11g.htm
- Bio-mimetics: illustrate and inform design ideas and decisions. Website: http://www.asknature.org/
Design Brief: Sustainable Sleep-out (3 x shipping containers) 2017 &2018.
"Design a Sustainable Sleep-out using 3 shipping containers."